Pittencrieff Park has been the centre of Pittencrieff Estate for most of its history. The grand house, landscaped gardens and ancillary buildings were typical of many a Scottish estate. Less so are the medieval ruins on its fringes and the relics of World War 2 defences and shelters.
Since the purchase of the estate in 1903 by Andrew Carnegie, the grounds have become a public park. It’s historic character has long been celebrated and this summer’s field school is just the beginning of an exploration of the archaeological riches of this beautiful landscape.